Live-streaming is growing fast. According to an industry report from Streamlabs, viewers watched 27.9 billion hours of content across all streaming platforms in 2020. This is up 78.5% from 15.63 billion hours in 2019. This growth in engagement from viewers also means massive growth for creators, professionals, and live-streamers who stream daily.
With alert widgets, you can now engage with your community on stream. Widgets are elements that can be added to the stream, just like your Ticker, Banner, or Logo. What makes widgets awesome is that they are interactive and engaging with your audience.
We are partnering with Streamlabs to take your stream to the next level, taking a proven formula that has helped hundreds of thousands of creators grow and bringing it to Melon. Here is what you can do:
- Monetize your streams using donations
- Fire up alerts on your stream using the Alert Box widget and recognize your community for support you
- Set fundraising goals and display your progress on stream
Our team is beyond excited to support your growth so let’s get into a few things:
- What widgets can I use within Melon?
- What are donations?
- What are alerts and when do they show up on stream?
- Can I customize the look and feel of my widgets?
- How do I set up widgets within Melon?
- How are people using widgets today?
1. What widgets are available on Melon?
- Alert box widget - shows your real-time “alerts” on community actions such as subscribe/follow as well as donations.
- Donation Goal widget - set your fundraising targets and track your progress.
- More coming soon!
2. What are Donations?
- Donation is a way for your community to send you financial support in real-time while you stream
- People can support you via either PayPal or credit card
- Melon will take 0% of the funds so 100% of the donation amount (minus standard payment processing fees) will go from your supporter to you. Payments are near-instant.
- Learn more about donations on Streamlabs
3. What are alerts and when do they show up on stream?
- Alerts are real-time notifications that appear on your stream when supporting you in any way.
There are many ways in which people can support you while you stream. Donation is one way and with donations, we take 0% fee. There are also streaming platform-specific events such as:
- Subscriptions on YouTube and Twitch
- Superchats and Super Stickers on YouTube, YouTube streaming currency
- Bits on Twitch, Twitch streaming currency
- Stars on FaceBook, FaceBook streaming currency
- You can check out this blog for more native platform monetization methods
- On top of monetary support, there are also follows- which is when folks follow your stream. And in all of these cases, there will be a real-time alert.
4. Can I customize the look and feel of my widgets?
- Widgets are highly customizable. There are a number of ways to make them personal - just like other Melon features - to support your unique brand voice
- Widgets are visible to the host and to everyone else watching the stream on the platform
- Widgets will appear in real-time just as folks engage with you on your stream, and support you in many ways
5. How do I set up widgets within Melon?
- Open your Melon Studio, click the Menu icon > Apps
Connect through your Streamlabs Dashboard. You will only have to do this once
- From Streamlabs set up your donations and your alerts
- Experiment with thousands of different variations and profiles
- With Streamlabs you can also see how this works on Melon by clicking on test donations. You will see alerts fire on your melon stream.
6. How are people using donations and alerts today?
The feedback from our community has been great and we are happy that our users are so passionate about using Melon amongst other similar services. Here are a few examples on how folks are using alerts and donations today:
- Alerts are displayed every time someone in the community engages with your stream
- Small businesses are streaming with Melon to grow awareness for their product and are using donations to make sales online via Melon
- A community leader who has been doing regular high-quality educational streams is receiving support from their community via follows and superchats as a sign of support for all the great work they are doing
- A talk show and music professional is receiving regular support from their community for positive energy with their music and bringing on guests on the stream
- Philanthropic creators are engaging and raising awareness around social issues with Melon, and raising funds from their community to support those causes
In each scenario, the creator is able to recognize their supporters in real-time with alerts. Think of it as the equivalent of being called on stage by your favorite music artists during a concert. It’s an incredible feeling for the live streamer, the supporter, and the community.
Please let us know how you are using donations and alerts and what other things you’d like for us to build by sending us your feedback at [email protected] We look forward to hearing from you! Happy streaming. :)
The Melon Team